Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Susan's Shusho Blog: What Has Aging Got to Do With It


My doctor calls. " I don't like the look of your bone scan", she tells me. "I think you should go back on fosamax. Over the next ten years you are at a high risk of breaking a bone or a hip."

The phone rings. It is my dentist's office reminding me of an appointment tomorrow.

What next? Some days it seems an endless making and keeping of appointments to keep this body on the road. Already this fall I have had a bone scan, an ultra sound, and a mammogram. Soon I will see the skin doctor.

This morning I have a realization. This 78 years old body is a gift. I may not like it, but I have the privilege of being able to take care of it. I am blessed with doctors I love. I have a yoga and a pilates practice. today I will call a woman who has studied bone health for years. She knows of alternatives to drugs. I have another friend who knows about ways to stimulate the brain by playing games on the computer.

The longer I can keep this skin bag going, the longer I will be able to help others.

The first line of a vow Buddhists take when they accept the precepts goes like this:

Beings are numberless, I vow to save them.
We take this vow with full knowledge of its impossibility.

It is a matter of deep intention. It gets into your bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment